As a working mom, things can tend to get extremely hectic. Between work Mondays through Fridays, Saturday events and church on Sunday, it can start to feel like I’m giving all I’ve got and there’s nothing left for me. I find myself wondering where my time and days have gone. It’s so important that as moms, we not only take care of our children (small and big ones) but that we also make sure we take care of ourselves. It’s so easy to neglect ourselves. There’s a saying that goes like this:
“Rest and self care are so important. When you take time to rest and replenish your spirit, it allows you to serve others from the overflow. You cannot serve from an empty vessel.” Eleanor Brownn
This is so important and this is definitely something I need to work on doing more regularly. Not taking time for myself happens to me more often than I would like it to. I can’t even tell you the last time I had a mani/pedi or even got my eyebrows done! (Yikes!) I even got a gift card to a spa for Christmas and still have yet to use it. It’s collecting dust somewhere!! That’s not good!! So with all that said, here are 5 simple ways I have found to be very helpful for me to rest and recharge:
1. Take a personal/”mental health” day off from work
This one I’ve done a time or two. I’ll plan to take a day when the baby is at daycare and I’ll arrange for daddy to drop and pick her up. That way I don’t have to leave the house and can stay in my PJs all day if I want to. These days have been so helpful. The important thing about taking a day like this is to make sure you rest and relax. Don’t use that day to catch up on housework and laundry. And def don’t use that day to run errands. Be purposeful about using that day for yourself. And don’t feel guilty for taking that day off either!! You work so hard on the job and at home, you deserve a day or two for yourself!
2. Do nothing!! Yep! I said it! Sometimes we use every free second we have and fill it up with something to do. I know it’s tempting to empty the dishwasher RIGHT NOW!! But you know what… it’s okay if the dishes hang out in the dishwasher a little while longer. Sometimes just sitting on the couch with a nice cup of hot tea is just what we need. It’s important that we not only relax our bodies but our minds as well.
3. Curl up with a good book… or two.
If you’re anything like me, between work and home life, you don’t have a lot of extra time for reading. I am a huge reader and used to read All. The. Time. But with a little one in the home, I barely have enough time to cook, let alone read. Whether you’re catching up on a novel or reading a self help book, this is a great way to relax your mind. You can even tackle the stack of magazines lying around that are just waiting to be read. Admit it!! I know you have a magazine stack somewhere too!!
4. Treat yourself. It’s important to treat ourselves from time to time. We do so much for everyone else that it’s easy to forget about ourselves. This could range from going to the local coffee shop for a few hours and enjoying your fave latte, to taking yourself out on a mini shopping spree. It could also mean getting your hair done, getting a massage, or even taking yourself out to lunch. You are important too and you need show it to yourself!
5. Be still. When I say this, I don’t mean stay in one place and do not move!! LOL!! When I am still and quiet, I use that time to pray. I still my mind from the many thoughts running through it and focus on the Lord. Many times things get so busy that it’s easy to put prayer on the back shelf. But spending time with be Lord is such a great way to be recharged. He is able to give you strength that is unexplainable. A strength that helps you get through each day and meet each demand as it comes.
Taking care of ourselves is imperative as moms. We need to be the best we can be for our families, and that means taking out time for self love and self care. I’m already planning my next “mental health” day…. I can’t wait!!
So dear moms, what are some simple ways that you rest and recharge yourself? I would love to hear your ideas and even add them to my own list of things to do!